Monday, September 18, 2017

Life in The "Bridge"


 Image result for queensboro bridge night

Life in "The Bridge"


I, once a priviledged, misguided young girl from the suburbs have been knocked off my pedestal
My eyelids forcefully opened
Informed of the realities of the world outside
The high cost of living in NY and my quest for independence has changed my address
My preconceived notions and biases challenged when I least expected it to
I've now become one with the same individuals I used to look down upon

Forced to dwell with those I once opposed
Awakened by the unpleasant vibrations of construction, drills constantly hammering at the concrete
as the neighbor downstairs is drilled by her partner, domestic violence
profane, vulgarity graces my eardrums
the aroma of drug paraphernalia is  hard to miss
urine stained staircases
the elevators no larger than prison's solitary confinement
Vermin infestations roaches are my bunk-mates

Even the name "projects" is it an indication of some sort of experimentation?

then on the contrary
I've witnessed community togetherness,
residents striving for excellence
youth eager to end this never ending cycle of generational poverty followed by the generations before them, their mothers, grandmothers etc.
Since moving here I've interacted with
Advocates for the improvement of quality of life
College alumni
registered nurses, medical professionals, hospital badges hanging from their necks, scrubs clinging to their bodies
When I meet someone outside of my apartment
looking at me, my high grades, honor student, my demeanor I am welcomed
But as soon as my address is revealed there are reactions of disbelief and even fear
Their once positive perception of me has now changed
Their smiles into frowns

Surprisingly I've never felt more at home
I feel a tremendous sense of belonging here
I now have grown as a person and fight for the destigmatization because I know firsthand that my address does not define me!
As everything is not always as it seems

1 comment:

  1. I admire the way she emphasized how she lived and what she had to Sustain to get where she is. It shows how no matter what the success you reach in life people will still still pick it apart until they found something to judge you on. Also how people influence can change someone prospective about themselves and make them makes undesired decisions. 
    In addition one Statement that caught my attention is “Surprisingly I’ve never felt more are home I feel a tremendous sense of belonging here I now have grown as a person and fight for the de stigmatization because I know first hand that my address does not define me!.” I found this statement very impactful because this is what she had believed in before revamping her mindset and the way she had view herself. 
    Moreover this poem is very powerful and mind changing poem because in this current age society judged you based on where you live 

    ReplyDelete