Thursday, March 16, 2017

Way Back when: The Old Brooklyn

Brooklynite at Heart
Ravaged by gentrification; stolen & forgotten memories
Way back when around twenty years ago  Easter was the highlight of my life. It was that thing I looked forward to so much. It was like my life revolved around it. Back then my only big decisions were deciding where I would go on that day. What event I would attend. If I would have enough time in the day to visit all my favorite places as there were so many different venues. So many Easter bunny appearances.

Would I go to Empire Skating rink's skate with the Easter bunny. Or would I go to Fun Time USA's event? or the famous central park Easter egg hunt? or Coney Island?
At Empire skating rink skate w Mr.Bunny night I can remember chasing behind him, well trying to at least cause I never ever did learn how to skate lol. His pink fur, his tall stature. He was quite the dancer too.          



I can remember the arts and crafts room being my absolute favorite at Fun Time USA. Making sand sculptures. These were made by filling up these plastic vessels. The vessels came in many different shapes/molds. Teddy bears, seashells, etc.
They ranged anywhere from dinosaurs to butterflies and ducks. You filled the mold with different layers of sand. \each layer a separate color. Pink, purple, green, yellow, blue. Until you got a rainbow. At last that's how I designed mine.  I didn't want to conform, to be stagnant like everybody else.
Grounded, unable to explore. I wanted to break routine because I was different. Even at that age, I dared to be different.


FUNTIME USA
 The room smelled of fresh paint. Not unlike a child's Kindergarten classroom. Another favorite activity of mine was the painting of blank ceramics. The glass molds were white ready to be painted to life. There were ducks I remember specifically, sparrow birds, flowers, then there were the words for our parents like best mom or love.

It brought me such joy to bring these animals to life. I painted bluebirds, woodpeckers, then the normal brown sparrow. It was such a bonding exercise for mommy and child. Around Easter time we had of course Easter eggs.

The women who were chaperoning the section were always so soft-spoken, patient and welcoming. I wonder where these women are today. They were so nurturing almost like second Mommy's to us kids. So calm, so positive, so passive and cheerful. They're the women I strive to be like today. Future me's I would think to myself as I idolized them.

I can remember the anticipation that would overcome me at the thought of each years Easter basket. Would it be a doll this time? two, three. one barbie, one baby doll? jellybeans, starburst, nerds, skittles? blowpops? You see my mom made mine custom. Which meant a lot to me. She took her time gluing grass, placing eggs, etc. It was a child's dream come true.
Rummaging through the grass 2 uncover the treats was so great

Around Easter time you know as the shelves at Rite Aid and all your local convenience stores are filled with Easter Egg decoration kits.Those little pill like tablets resembling sweet-tarts. Except they aren't. Vinegar was the secret ingredient. Vinegar was what caused the dye to transfer onto the shell of the egg. Me being greedy and not wanting to waste, I would eat my boiled eggs afterward. lol.


 Everywhere I went took place in the festivities. School and all. At school we'd have a race where we'd roll our plastic eggs as hard as we could and whoever's egg went ahead of the other won a prize. So there I was rolling my egg, I was called to participate in the race. I watched my egg and even doubted that i'd outdo the other. Then to my surprise. Bam! it scrambled across the floor so quickly I was in shock and disbelief. wooooo I won! go me! go me! I screeched.





 
Perhaps one of the fondest memories of them all will have had to be when I would be on that f, q or d train then
we'd arrive at Coney Island Stillwell avenue the dispatcher would say. But before then even at the stop prior West 8 St
New York Aquarium I'd be able to spot the rides. Round and round I'd go spinning in circles on the train poles
The train poles were such an adventure to me. I can remember saying in my little voice "excuse me sir,
I would like to use this pole, and I don't wanna hit you." They'd laugh and say it's all yours.

And I'd spin and spin and spin around until I thought I'd pass out. Then I'd spot the rides, I'd always have
my knees on the seats while I looked out the window. "Mommy, Grandpa, the rides, the rides, the rides! Look!"
It was such a beautiful sight. I'd be riddled with anxiety and joy.


old stillwell avenue station
When we'd come out I'd be running to the old shops on the curb. The sellers were all lined up and ready.
We were bombarded on the curbside with inflatable hammers, automatic fans, windmills, stuffed animals,
all sorts of trinkets and gadgets. Bubble blowers, Souvenir t-shirts, photographers. Italian icees, snowcones,
slushes. They had it all ready. And our parents just couldn't resist our cute little rosey faces when we'd look
up at them with a desperate "pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee mommy?" in that squeaky adorable voice.


Then the best memory of them all. Little ol me'
mini AGC. Five years old. Hair braided in perfec
plats. Embezelled with seashells & gold beads.
My famous Spring denim jackets with the
sequined and gemed pockets. Vibrant, lively,
witty, quirky, curious, funny me. Quite advanced
for my age range. My little payless flats or my
famous jelly shoes.

There I am 1999 Summer, racing to be first on line for the Wonder Wheel. My mother and I had to wait
for our favorite cart to roll back down. It just wasn't the same experience without our favorite color. :)
Ah there it is Mommy and I's famous red cart
So there I was Black barbie in hand. (which was cool because she was a limited edition, she was very chocolatey brown, and I embraced her and loved her very much. I was so happy that my doll reflected my family and who I was for once. She rode with me, I strapped her in with mommy and me. (She was afraid too, lol, dolls have feelings too ya know.)


And we were off, all the way to the top, then we swung, back and forth, back and forth. But I was calm cause I knew my mommy and beloved doll were right beside me.


What a joy it was to go Easter egg scavenger hunting. I mean, there were so many pleasant surprises inside those plastic eggs. Ranging anywhere from candy to money. They'd count down on your mark, get set go. And us kids would spring out across the yards, trying to find things on the list. Making our own paths. Following directions to find these eggs. I however wouldn't always find the things on the list. I would instead try to find as many eggs as I could in order to just take them home. I filled my basket and just had a great time. I can remember going up to different kiosks and getting eggs filled with different things in order to add into my already full basket.


No comments:

Post a Comment